1. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-IV-TR (fourth edition, text revision). Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
2. Filipek PA, Accardo PJ, Baranek GT, Cook Jr. EH, Dawson G, Gordon B, Gravel JS, Johnson CP, Kellen RJ, Levy SE, Minshew NJ, Prizant BM, Rapin I, Rogers SJ, Stone WL, Teplin S, Tuchman RF, Volkmar FR. The screening and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1999; 29(2): 439-484.
3. Yeargin-Allsopp M, Rice C, Karapurkar T, Doernberg N, Boyle C, Murphy C. Prevalence of Autism in a US Metropolitan Area. The Journal of the American Medical Association.. 2003 Jan 1;289(1):49-55.
4. Newschaffer CJ (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health). Autism Among Us: Rising Concerns and the Public Health Response [Video on the Internet]. Public Health Training Network, 2003 June 20. Available from: http://www.publichealthgrandrounds.unc.edu/autism/webcast.htm.
5. Volkmar FR. Medical Problems, Treatments, and Professionals. In: Powers MD, ed. Children with Autism: A Parent's Guide, Second Edition. Bethesda, MD: Woodbine House, 2000; 73-74.
6. Powers MD. What Is Autism? In: Powers MD, ed. Children with Autism: A Parent's Guide, Second Edition. Bethesda, MD: Woodbine House, 2000, 28.
7. Smalley SI, Autism and tuberous sclerosis. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1998; 28(5): 407-414.
8. Filipek PA, Accardo PJ, Ashwal S, Baranek GT, Cook Jr. EH, Dawson G, Gordon B, Gravel JS, Johnson CP, Kallen RJ, Levy SE, Minshew NJ, Ozonoff S, Prizant BM, Rapin I, Rogers SJ, Stone WL, Teplin SW, Tuchman RF, Volkmar FR. Practice parameter: screening and diagnosis of autism. Neurology, 2000; 55: 468-479.
9. Baird G, Charman T, Baron-Cohen S, Cox A, Swettenham J, Wheelwright S, Drew A. A screening instrument for autism at 18 months of age: A 6-year follow-up study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2000; 39: 694-702.
10. Robbins DI, Fein D, Barton MI, Green JA. The modified checklist for autism in toddlers: an initial study investigating the early detection of autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2001; 31(2): 149-151.
11. Stone WL, Coonrod EE, Ousley OY. Brief report: screening tool for autism in two-year-olds (STAT): development and preliminary data. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2000; 30(6): 607-612.
12. Berument SK, Rutter M, Lord C, Pickles A, Bailey A. Autism Screening Questionnaire: diagnostic validity. British Journal of Psychiatry, 1999; 175: 444-451.
13. Ehlers S, Gillberg C, Wing L. A screening questionnaire for Asperger syndrome and other high-functioning autism spectrum disorders in school age children. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1999; 29(2): 129-141.
14. Garnett MS, Attwood AJ. The Australian scale for Asperger's syndrome. In: Attwood, Tony. Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 1997.
15. Scott FJ, Baron-Cohen S, Bolton P, Brayne C. The Cast (Childhood Asperger Syndrome Test): preliminary development of a UK screen for mainstream primary-school-age children. Autism, 2002; 2(1): 9-31.